Frequently Asked Questions
Can SFADA help me determine the value of my artwork?
SFADA does not have an art identification or appraisal service. We suggest you search for the artist online and try to find an art dealer who represents his/her work. You may also look for appraisers in your area, send them photos of the artwork, and ask them how to proceed. Appraisers are listed on the Appraisers Association of America website. To find a SFADA dealer who represents the artist’s or similar artwork, enter the artist’s name or style into search field (upper right corner) on this site.
How can I find a gallery to represent me and my work?
Research galleries to determine which ones might be appropriate aesthetic matches for your work. Contact those galleries to determine their individual preferred methods of reviewing work. Some post this information on their websites.
If you are a San Francisco Bay Area-based artist, we suggest you contact ArtSpan, a local nonprofit that organizes professional development workshops for artists as well as the annual SF Open Studios program.
How can I find out which gallery has a certain kind of art?
Use the Search function in the upper right corner of the screen and enter a keyword, or go to our Galleries page page and filter by the most common Art Specialties.
How can I find employment in an art gallery?
Each gallery does its own hiring, so it is best to contact a gallery for which you have a special interest. You are welcome to send your resume to info @ sfada.com, and if we know of open gallery positions, we will forward your information. You may also check galleries’ job postings on this page.
Can I exhibit my work during First Thursday?
SFADA organizes the monthly “First Thursday” openings, encouraging member galleries to stay open late and host exhibition receptions on those evenings. SFADA only lists member galleries and openings on the SFADA.com website; however, many galleries (including non-members and non-profit organizations) plan their opening receptions on Thursdays as well.
Gallery Job Listings
- San Francisco: Adrian Rosenfeld is seeking a full-time gallery associate. The ideal candidate will have gallery experience and a background in art history. Position details are here.
Museums and Cultural Institutions
- Asian Art Museum
- Bedford Gallery at the Lesher Center for the Arts
- Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
- Berkeley Art Center
- California Historical Society
- Cartoon Art Museum
- Contemporary Jewish Museum
- Djerassi Resident Artists Program
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, Legion of Honor and M.H. de Young Museum
- Kala Art Institute
- The Lab
- Montalvo Arts Center
- The Mexican Museum
- Museum of the African Diaspora (MOAD)
- New Museum Los Gatos (NUMU)
- Oakland Museum of California
- The Performance Art Institute
- San Francisco Arts Commission
- San Francisco Center for the Book
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- SF Camerawork
- Southern Exposure
- Walt Disney Family Museum
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA)